Find the answers you need
How do I do a web hosting platform transfer?
You may wish to move a website from one platform to another. For example, you may wish to move from Linux Web Hosting to WordPress Web Hosting to take advantage of the WP-optimised platform or to move your hosting package from our shared hosting platform to the Managed VPS platform. You'll need to use our Platform Transfer tool in order to action this. This tool can also be used to move your hosting packages between our UK or USA Data Centres.
- Head to the Platform Transfer tool - this can be accessed under Migrations > Platform Transfer on the My20i Control Panel header menu.
- Select the package you want to transfer from the dropdown menu titled Package to Transfer.
- Select the New Platform Type that you would like to move the hosting package to.
- You will then need to select the Data Center that you would like the Hosting Package to be hosted from.
- Select the Hosting Package Type that you would like to assign to the hosting package once the platform transfer has completed from the drop-down menu.
- Select Begin Transfer.
- You will now need to wait for the Platform Transfer tool to complete the transfer for you. The status of your Platform Transfer can be found under Current Platform Transfers.
Will I need to update my DNS records after a Platform Transfer?
When running a Platform Transfer between any of the shared hosting platforms (Linux, Windows and WordPress), the IP address of the hosting package will not change – so there will be no need to make any amendments to any of your domains DNS records. However, when moving from a shared hosting platform to the Managed VPS platform, the hosting package’s IP address will need to be changed. If the domain that your hosting package uses is using our nameservers, the Platform Transfer tool will automatically update the DNS for you – however, if you are managing your DNS externally then you would need to ensure that the IP address on the A record is updated after the transfer is completed. The package’s new IP address can be found under Account Information on the Hosting Package Overview page.
Why has my Platform Transfer failed?
On occasions, a platform transfer may fail – this could happen for several reasons, however, it’s most likely to happen when transferring to the WordPress hosting platform, usually because the website does not currently meet the WordPress platform requirements.
When moving a hosting package from a shared hosting platform to a Managed VPS, you would need to ensure that the VPS has enough capacity to handle the hosting package that you are moving – for example, if the Managed VPS has 25GB of storage capacity then you won’t be able to transfer a package exceeding 25GB in size – attempting to do so would result in a platform transfer failure.